Thursday, February 10, 2005

Torture at Camp XXX-Ray

The media seems to like to harp a lot on Guantanamo Bay. Seems every few weeks, we get a fresh report of all the horrid, inhumane torture that goes on there ... usually something along the lines of "They brought strippers into my cell, and then they touched me in my special place."

Those poor bastards. I mean, how would you feel, if someone violated your human rights that way? I know how I'd feel. I'd be ... um ... very, uh, displeased, and, um, mortified, that I was being subjected to such cruel and, and inhumane.... Oh, hell, who am I kidding? I wish someone would violate my human rights.

Seriously, though. How did using strippers get classified as torture!? I mean, come on. Thumb screws, yes. The rack, sure. Electrodes wired up to your balls, or a glass rod shoved up your urethra and shattered, those are no-brainers. But strippers? That's not torture. Sexual harassment, I could see ... but unless there's physical pain involved, it's not torture. I mean, it's not like we're talking about twelve year old girls here. These are grown men, hardened killers.

And one other point. Since when does a grown man complain that he was forced to look at a stripper's naughty bits? In my experience, that means you're either, a) gay or b) still in the closet (unless the stripper's an ugbo ... have to file that away until pics come out. In fact, if the interrogators are preferrentially using total dogs, then maybe that would qualify as torture....)

The longer this war goes on, the less I hate the terrorists. They're to pathetic to be worth hating.

3 Comments:

Blogger Decadent Leftist said...

Please cite a source for "strippers". No story I have read has said that "strippers" were used.

All accounts of such incidents at Gitmo involve female American intelligence officials who stripped sometimes in order to offend the sensibilites of conservative middle-eastern men. They also threw fake "menstrual blood" on some of the detainees before prayer times and refused to let them wash it off.

To say "HOW CAN THEY B OFFENDED- I'D LIEK STRIPPERS LOLOLOL" and "THAT SURE IS PATHETIC" shows cultural bias of an extreme order. It's considered mental abuse BECAUSE ITS DEEPLY OFFENSIVE TO THEM. That's why it was incorprated into the interrogation. (And don't fall back on a cheap argument like "WELL I FIND TERRORISM OFFENSIVE, SO ITS OK"-that's what bad writers do. besides- many Gitmo detainnes have been released withour being charged with a crime or invloment in terrorist groups- it is possibile the US gov't is torturing non-combatiants and civilians)

Maybe you want a better source on this than a bunch of right wing blogs

8:11 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

You asked for sources, so I found two that mention strippers being used for interrogation.

http://dominionpaper.ca/international_news/2004/03/16/former_gua.html
http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=242875&messageid=1106864508&lp=1107032334

As well as a WaPost story linked to by Tim Blair, at
http://timblair.net/ee/index.php/weblog/bring_it_on/
Which, sadly, is behind a registration wall that I don't feel like climbing over.

Well, okay, interrogators posing as strippers, not actual strippers. So I'll concede that much; I should have read the story closer.

The point stands, however. Here's a bunch of grown men so f*cked up by their evil, crazy religion (by which I refer to Wahabbism, not Islam per se) that the thought of women touching them, or even dressing like sluts, drives them insane.

And yes, I AM culturally biased. Relativism has never tasted good to me. Maybe you want to look out the window some time and ask why our culture invented the industrial economy and the information economy, why we (literally) conquered the world and then went to the moon, while their great civilization sat in a growing pile of its own filth and grew increasingly bitter and vengeful. Biased? Hell, yes, I'm biased! It's actually rather amusing that you'd try and use that to rebuke me.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Decadent Leftist said...

I take back everything i said.

Do you know why?

"[you're] *to* pathetic to be worth hating."

Nice spelling by the way. I gues it speaks volumes about our culture when we've become too advanced to bother with even a cursory proof read.

As for the glory of the West,well, seeing as how the arsenal of democracy is now making it offical state policy to ignore and bypass basic human rights and torture prisoners who may not have even committed a crime, is transforming into a place where persons like you and their childish political "beliefs" are gradually becoming the mainstream, I don't think we're in much of a position to claim moral and cultural superiority over anyone.

I'd invite you to peruse the "Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman
or Degrading Treatment or Punishment" (which the United States is a signatory) which defines torture as "any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person"So boobies count.

Good to see you've researched this topic.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home