Friday, April 01, 2005

Sin City Criminals

Last night I got to see Sin City, a day before the general population does, for free (my friends rock.) As a fan of the comic, and Frank Miller's work in general, I can only say it blew me away. Go see it. You won't be disappointed.

But I'm not here to sing the praises of Sin City. I'm hear to bitch about the way the audience was treated: as a crowd of potential criminals.

The line-up was long, and slow. It took literally 20 mins to get to the front. Why? Because a group of security guards were patting down everyone to ensure no one got to take their electronics into the theatre. No digitial video cameras. No digitial cameras. And, for some godforsaken reason, no phonecams. Good god, someone might take a low resolution screen-shot! It's obvious, after all, that no one will go see the movie if they've already seen a crappy still.

Oh wait. I'd already seen lots of crappy stills. And trailers. And, um, I went anyways. Go figure.

To cap off the inconvencience was this nice little piece of humiliation: everyone giving up their phonecams had to sign a waiver, stating that in the event of loss, theft, or breakage neither the security company nor the theatre would be held liable. As I walked in, I could just see one (or all) of the uniformed, nine-dollar-an-hour thugs saying to himself, "Gee, that's a nice phone. Can't afford one that nice myself. Think I'll take it."

I can understand being worried about piracy. I disagree with studios' position, but I can understand it. Seriously though, what are we going to do with our phonecams? Or, for that matter, with camcorders? It's been years since I've downloaded a movie that was bootlegged in a theatre somewhere. Especially with digital movies, it's easy for someone involved in the production process to let a copy leak onto a P2P network. Until the DVD comes out several months later, that's where most of the illegal downloads come from, not from customers in the theatre.

There's a lot of similarity, there, to the situation in airports, where even on intra-national flights every traveller is treated by the ill-mannered, poorly trained louts laughingly called 'security', as though they were potential terrorists. With, of course, all of the delay, inefficiency, and humiliation the process involves. Just as the anti-piracy measures at the theatre are highly unlikely to prevent any actual piracy, so is airport 'security' pretty much useless at providing actual security. In both cases, the aim is not the prevention of crime. It is control, through fear and intimidation, of the general population.

I'd ask, "Why do you sheeple put up with this nonsense!?" except that, of course, I put up with it myself. Which, sadly, makes me sheeple.

Sometimes, I despair for the future of our species.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Terminator said...

What kind of mature content was there in the movie? Nudity? Violence? Language? Would this be appropriate for me to see with my wife?

12:56 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

There was the occasional sex scene, but it wasn't exactly hardcore. However, there are a lot of scantily clad women: the prostitutes who rule 'Old Town' are central characters in the second storyline. All three of the loosely connected stories have some aspect of sexuality at the center, though as I said little is explicitly shown.

As to violence: yes. Very much so. The (anti)hero of the first story is a professional thug. He tortures people repeatedly, both for information and for fun.

As for language, well, there's definately some colorful expressions.

Not knowing your wife, I couldn't say if it's appropriate or not. But if she's particularly sensitive to sex, violence, and foul language ... I'd advise against.

1:25 PM  
Blogger The Terminator said...

Well, this sounds fantastic, as I can always go for a little bit of strong material now and then. My wife will have to take a pass though. Her favourite movie is Mystic Pizza, so this is definately not the film for her. Although Mystic Pizza was not bad. (if you are a girl)

6:51 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Huh. Never even heard of Mystic Pizza. But then, most of the girls I know are into movies I've never heard of, usually because when I see the trailer I immediately delete it from my brain as too sappy/boring/annoying to contemplate.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Decadent Leftist said...

"Sin City" was one of the best worst movies ever made.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home